Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Lost: Season 4

Post by Lalanae »

Review on the season premier here

I'm so excited! Next Thursday!! If you want to see the Orchid Orientation Vid, it's here. Fucking creepy....

On Lostpedia talk for the premier episode "The Beginning of the End", someone listed the guest stars that were released by the network:
Guest starring are Mira Furlan as Danielle Rousseau, Sam Anderson as Bernard, L. Scott Caldwell as Rose, Tania Raymonde as Alex, Blake Bashoff as Karl, Marsha Thomason as Naomi, Michael Cudlitz as Mike Walton, Lance Reddick as Matthew Abbadon, Grisel Toledo as orderly, Steven Neumeier as Lewis, Billy Ray Gallion as Randy, Jeremy Davies as Daniel Faraday and John Terry as Christian Shephard.

Grisel Toledo was the orderly (aka later Nurse Lazenby) that gave Hurley and Libbey their pills. Maybe we'll get some answers about Libby finally!

Other non-losties are:
*Michael Cudlitz as Mike Walton (cop that worked with Ana Lucia)
*Lance Reddick as Matthew Abbadon(new character)
*Steven Neumeier as Lewis (new character)
*Billy Ray Gallion as Randy (Hurley's old boss at Mr Clucks and later Locke's old boss at the box co)
*Jeremy Davies as Daniel Faraday (new character)
*John Terry as Christian Shephard (no surprise)
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Re: Lost: Season 4

Post by Dregor Thule »

Holy christ. I never put 2 and 2 together that Hurley's chicken boss was the box company boss as well, but you're so right. That's what I love about this show... 3 seasons later and I'm still realizing small little tidbits. I need to finish watching s3 again before the s4 premiere. Damn this strike! Hopefully with several studios making seperate deals, plus the WGA making a few concessions, means it'll end soon and we'll get more than just the 6 already-written episodes.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

LostPedia is your friend. A scary, how-the-fuck-did-they-manage-to-figure-all-this-out friend, but a friend nonetheless.
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Since abc.com was nice enough to put Lost season 1-3 up in streaming HD, I have been considering watching it. However, I am a little frightened by interviews I read with the creators where they talk about how they don't know exactly where they are going, or have answers to mysteries created because they are making it up as they go along. Also, they say some of the mysteries will never be answered, and that scares me too (i like closure).

Thoughts?
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

If you're a closure nut and need answers you'll probably hate Lost. The lack of firm answers appeals to me because it keeps me trying to puzzle stuff out, and I love puzzles.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Aardor wrote:Since abc.com was nice enough to put Lost season 1-3 up in streaming HD, I have been considering watching it. However, I am a little frightened by interviews I read with the creators where they talk about how they don't know exactly where they are going, or have answers to mysteries created because they are making it up as they go along. Also, they say some of the mysteries will never be answered, and that scares me too (i like closure).

Thoughts?
I've read quite the opposite. The creators have said in interviews I've read and podcasts i've heard that they know how the show is going to end and that they knew the first writers meeting. They just didn't have an end-date until recently. With an end-date they can now outline the rest of the show and flesh out the holes. There may be little details that they don't have figured out yet, but they've said that the overall story and ending (what is really going on) was figured out very early on.
Lalanae
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aardor wrote:Since abc.com was nice enough to put Lost season 1-3 up in streaming HD, I have been considering watching it. However, I am a little frightened by interviews I read with the creators where they talk about how they don't know exactly where they are going, or have answers to mysteries created because they are making it up as they go along. Also, they say some of the mysteries will never be answered, and that scares me too (i like closure).

Thoughts?
I could have sworn that they said the exact opposite last year. They said that they knew exactly where it was going, and they had mapped it out to go a couple years longer than what they ended up getting from ABC. I think they had planned it to all pan out in 8-10 years, but 6 years ended up working for them to start winding things "down" with the end of season 3. Kind of like 3 years of flashbacks, and 3 years of "flash-forwards."

The little things like the work manager being at two different jobs shows that even the "filler" episodes are providing clues. This is one of the things I like about Lost.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Few other tidbits for addicts like me:

The 2nd episode is called "Confirmed Dead" The guest star list has mostly new folk, but notably Alex, Karl, and Danielle, so I'm guessing that storyline will be a bigger deal this season. Characters from previous seasons in bold. No info on who the new characters are.

Ken Leung - Miles
Jeremy Davies - Daniel Faraday
Rebecca Mader - Charlotte
Jeff Fahey - Frank Lapidus
Mira Furlan - Danielle Rousseau
Tania Raymonde - Alex
Blake Bashoff - Karl
Marsha Thomason - Naomi

Lance Reddick - Matthew Abbadon
Jill Kuramoto - female anchor
Necar Zadegan - translator
Azure McCall - Mrs. Gardner
Kanayo Chiemelu - African/Tunisian man

List of the 67 8 episode names from imdb:

Season 4, Episode 1: The Beginning of the End
Original Air Date: 31 January 2008

Season 4, Episode 2: Confirmed Dead
Original Air Date: 7 February 2008

Season 4, Episode 3: The Economist
Original Air Date: 14 February 2008

Season 4, Episode 4: Eggtown
Original Air Date: 21 February 2008

Season 4, Episode 5: The Constant
Original Air Date: 28 February 2008

Season 4, Episode 6: The Other Woman
Original Air Date: 6 March 2008

Edit: Actually there are 7...

Season 4, Episode 7: Ji Yeon
Original Air Date: 13 March 2008

Edit: Actually its 8
"Meet Kevin Johnson"
Not listed on imdb
Last edited by Lalanae on January 25, 2008, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalanae
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Hmm...I can't recall when I read the interviews, but a coworker of mine independently had read the interviews and decided not to watch for the same reason. However, we both could have read them before the series started, or before they actually hashed everything out. At the time, it sounded like they weren't even going to explain why the people were on the island, which would probably drive me nuts. However, sounds like they have it all figured out, and since you people actually follow the series, I will trust you.

As far as closure, i'm OK with non-firm answers that you have to puzzle out, and I like them for that reason (i enjoy when any sort of movie or show actually makes you think and problem solve). My fear was that there were no answers to the big questions.

I am going to give the series a shot, since my fears have been dissipated. Thanks for the info!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Definitely give it a shot. It's seriously the best show on TV EVAR. It used to run neck in neck with BSG, but BSG lost it's edge last year. Lost gets kookier every season. Some questions get answered along the way, but the answer usually leads to a slew of more questions.
Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

The audience just needs to be warned,” Cuse said. “There’s a very cool cliffhanger at the end of the eighth episode. But most of the major questions were designed to get answered at the second half of the season. ”
The last episode supposedly centers around
[Show]
Michael. Libby is going to be in this episode too...
Lalanae
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Yeah, the big supposition is that Michael was the one at the funeral at the end of season 3. The crazy fans blew up the image of the newspaper clipping, and it said something about 'survived by a teenage son', so it's assumed that it was Michael.
It was inevitable that he would come back. Now, the big question is if Walt will be returning. The Others wanted children, but I don't know if they wanted Walt for the same reason as the other kids. Wasn't he different in that the island spoke to him in a similar fashion as Locke?
I'm not going to be able to watch it until Saturday, as I have an educators conference starting on Thursday. I'm going to die of anxiety knowing it's been aired!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Well Walt did come back, in the last episode, he appeared to Locke. Now whether that was really him or not is another question. The creators have said, however, that Walt will most definitly be back (he's part of the overall story arc) and that his aging will be addressed/explained. The actor is 3-4 years older, but the character is only a couple months older.
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Man, I just watched the Nikki & Paolo episode again, such a gruesome story :P
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Dregor Thule wrote:Man, I just watched the Nikki & Paolo episode again, such a gruesome story :P
omg I was just thinking about that episode last night before I went to sleep! Weird!

That episode reminds me of old school Twilight Zone for some reason. Perfectly self-contained, creepy...
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I'd really forgotten just how great this season was. Wasn't sure I'd be able to finish before the season 4 premiere but I think I will, and it'll all be nice and fresh. Excitement!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Is it wrong that I can't concentrate at work, and the clock on the wall is going in reverse now? I don't think it will ever be 8pm today for me!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Kluden wrote:Is it wrong that I can't concentrate at work, and the clock on the wall is going in reverse now? I don't think it will ever be 8pm today for me!
lol I'm with ya
Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Speaking of connections not made...

You guys remember the pilot? The one who got ripped out of the plane and mangled in the first episode?

He was played by Greg Grunberg, who is now better known as Matt Parkman on HEROES!

Edit: AND according to spoilers, we'll see him again in Lost :)
Lalanae
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Lalanae wrote:
Kluden wrote:Is it wrong that I can't concentrate at work, and the clock on the wall is going in reverse now? I don't think it will ever be 8pm today for me!
lol I'm with ya
This is called addiction.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Sweet, sweet addiction.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

That was awesome.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, I really enjoyed the episode. It was a little slow, but that's typical beginning of the season fashion for a tv show.

I wish there was an easy way to tell where on the time line the flash forwards are instead of relying on Jack's beard level to indicate time away from the island.

I didn't realize it until last night's episode, but I'm truly bored with the Kate/Jack/Sawyer love triangle. I guess 3 seasons of it was enough for me. There are so many spoiler type questions I wish I could ask, but there are so many right now, I don't think its worth it, and will let the season play out. Fuggen studios better pay those writers.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I still miss Charlie.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I read an unconfirmed spoiler about how someone dies this season. It's a major character and if it's true, it's pretty fucked up, but kinda funny.
[Show]
Supposedly Claire gets into a helicopter with Daniel (he's the guy at the end of the first episode who parachuted in. He's part of the "freighter" team). When they are over the ocean, Daniel takes Aaron from her and pushes her out of the helicopter. lol
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I think I'm gonna refrain from clicking that spoiler tag. I want to be surprised!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Ah, but it is a funny image (in a mean way) and it may not be true ... /poke /poke
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Ok, ok! I looked at it.. that would suck to do!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Now that I've had time to absorb the episode, some of the pertinent thoughts/questions:
[Show]
1. Oceanic 6? So only 6 get off the island? It's mentioned that some people are still there. We know Jack, Kate and Hurley got off.. anyone want to hazard a guess on the other 3? I'm going to go with Sawyer as one, just on the safe assumption that he's the one Kate referred to as "he" at the end of season 3 while talking with Jack at the airport. Other two, hmm. Claire and Sayid?
2. Dominic Monaghan is still in the main credits, so I guess his "ghost" is going to be a recurring character. Actually there was a few names in the main credits that I didn't recognize. I know one of them is the guy who parachuted in, will need to look up the others.
3. I think this entire season is going to be playing catch-up to the end of season 3 with bearded Jack, although I guess it could either a) go all over the place or b) get to that point around midseason.
4. Fucking Jacob and that fucking cabin. I'm going to have to watch that scene again.
I've probably missed some thoughts I had... this is going to be a very interesting season!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

[Show]
Sayid, Sun & Jin are the other 3. I'd like to know why Hurley changed his mind, especially since he was the one who convinced everyone else that went with Locke. Guess we'll find out!

Did you notice that the guy in the chair was Jack's Dad? He was weraing a suit, most likely the one he was buried in. Hurley's never seen Jack's Dad before, so it's not like other "ghosts" we've seen who appear to people that they know. The face that briefly appears is probably Jacob, but maybe it's someone else and the guy in the chair is Jacob (reanimating Jack's Dad or something), who knows.
I totally teared up when Hurley and Claire found out Charlie was dead.

I also teared up when at 7:45 our XBOX 360 blew up (we had the show playing through the Xbox via Media Center on Eric's computer so we would watch it on our big screen TV). So we watched it in our messy office :( And now the Xbox is dead and all my HD movies are worthless (cry)
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I teared up too, but I so had something in my eye.
[Show]
No, I hadn't noticed it was Jack's dad. What does it mean? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I don't think this is a spoiler because one of the Lost creators blew it off as not being "intentionally significant", but
[Show]
it's pretty funny that they used the same car for 4 accidents (and 1 drive by shot) in the show. I could just be a little inside joke on a reuse of props or to get the fans theorizing about OMG who's driving the Golden Pontiac!!
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

OMG JACOB IS DRIVING IT!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I can't wait for Thursday to come :( That first episode of season 4 was immense!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I was amazed to discover that the guy who played Paolo was the same actor that played Xerxes in 300! WTF?!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Dregor Thule wrote:I was amazed to discover that the guy who played Paolo was the same actor that played Xerxes in 300! WTF?!
omg lol, he was the funniest part of 300 (and that movie was chock-full of unintentional funny!)
Lalanae
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Seen most of episode 2 now, and just have one question:
[Show]
What the FUCK are a polar bear skeleton in a tunesian desert wearing Dharma Initiative collar?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I hear we get another 5 episodes this season!
Lalanae
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

So wait.. 5 episodes in addition to what? Because I think there was originally supposed to be 18, but then strike happened and I have no idea how many episodes this season is actually going to be now.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I heard there were 8 in the bag before the strike. So that's 13?

Why don't you guys talk about what's happening in Lost right now. I'm at work on a holiday when our company is officially closed today and I want to hear crazy theories that I can agree with or tear down.

Thanks.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

So Ben survived, but I doubt he's included in the Oceanic 6. I assume he found a sneaky way home. Why is Siyadh working for him? What organization was he trying to bust into, and who were the people he was killing off?

Questions, questions!!!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Dregor Thule wrote:So wait.. 5 episodes in addition to what? Because I think there was originally supposed to be 18, but then strike happened and I have no idea how many episodes this season is actually going to be now.
5 episodes beyond what's already been filmed (8)
Lalanae
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Kaldaur wrote:So Ben survived, but I doubt he's included in the Oceanic 6. I assume he found a sneaky way home. Why is Siyadh working for him? What organization was he trying to bust into, and who were the people he was killing off?

Questions, questions!!!
Iagree that Ben will not be included in the Oceanic 6. He said that Siyadh (is that really how you spell it? Learn something new every day) had to follow his (Ben's) list if he wanted to protect his friends. So is Siyadh protecting his friends from the organization of people that he is killing, or is Ben blackmailing him into killing people with the threat of hurting his friends? I'd assume that if it were the latter, that Siyadh would just kill Ben. How does this stuff tie into the "secret" that Hurley is keeping that Jack visited him in the loony bin to make sure he wasn't going to tell? When Ben mentions Siyadh's friends, is he speaking of the Oceanic 6, or the other people that are still alive on the island that have been hinted at? Though I'd have to assume those people would be Locke's people, and I don't think Siyadh would be too concerned with them.

What was up with the "payload" being fired from the ship and it being 31 minutes off when it landed on the island? What's up with the timewarp? I hate the questions they leave me with after every episode!! Well, I hate it and I love it.

Those are just the first ones that popped into my head, I know I had more.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

There are so many holes right now, I'm not even sure I could begin trying to theorize.

I'm going to guess that the tall thin black guy (Matthew Abbadon) is part of the group that Sayid and Ben are after and that he's pretty high up on the chain of whatever organization/group it is. The person who heads that group will probably be someone we've seen before, like Penny's dad, or Sun's dad, or even someone a little less obvious (Go Cheech Marin? jk). I think this group is directly associated with the airline, as to be able to create the hoax plane underwater. I think they also have ties to the Dharma Initiative and that is why they want Ben. Ben was responsible for the Dharma massacre and no telling what else happened between the massacre and "present day."

Ok now, I'm starting to figure this theory out.

The Hanso Foundation funded the Dharma Initiative. The Hanso Foundation has ties to the Widmore Co. (Penny's dad's co). Alvar Hanso had a position on the Widmore board of directors, so the ties are pretty strong. It also makes sense seing that Penny had some knowledge of the island or something.

The Orchid video (see one of my above posts for link) seems to be some kind of teleportation experiment gne bad. That might explain why a polar bear skeleton shows up in the desert (teleportation gone awry maybe?). I theorize that Widmore wanted Desmond gone, that Libby worked for Widmore and gave Des her boat as a set up, and that somehow Widmore orchestrated Desmond being teleported to the island, which seems to exist in a glass bubble. I also theorize that the plane was also thusly teleported. Motive for the plane? Could be to get rid of a few isolated individuals, or something bigger.

ok, how's that :P
Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I think that Sayid is working for Ben because Ben knows who ALREADY harmed his friends. Keep in mind we don't know the context of that flash forward. The creators have said there will be some major deaths this season and if some folks died between the island and that flash forward, I can see Sayid seeking revenge. I think he's reluctant because trusting Ben is never a good idea and Sayid doesn't really know if the people he's been killing are really at fault. Killing his girlfriend was traumatic, so it's understandable why he'd act the way he was with Ben at the end.
Lalanae
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

You forgot about the dharma drop shipments that are done by plane...that one doesn't "crash" or "malfunction" like everyone else's vehicles...so is there an anti-emp device or something that allows that plane to drop a shipment without the adverse effects of the island's supernatural state?
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Kluden wrote:You forgot about the dharma drop shipments that are done by plane...that one doesn't "crash" or "malfunction" like everyone else's vehicles...so is there an anti-emp device or something that allows that plane to drop a shipment without the adverse effects of the island's supernatural state?
No one heard a plane when it was dropped, so it's possible it was delivered in some other manner
Lalanae
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kaldaur »

Woot, figured it out about halfway through the episode. Lala, this episode would seem to support your idea of Claire's fate during this season. My question is, did Kate make Jack think the 'baby' was Sawyer's? Or does Jack not want to see it for other reasons...maybe guilt over Claire's untimely demise?

Also, my guess is that Aaron is the 'he' referred to by Kate at the end of season 3. When Jack calls her out to the airport, Kate says she can't stay long, 'he needs me'. It isn't Sawyer, or a husband, but Aaron! Great story twist.

I love this season so far. Talk about reinvigorating a show!
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Reinvigorating? In general so far a huge yes...but last night's episode was so useless. I hate the Kate flashbacks and flasforwards. Her story doesn't interest me in the least for some reason.
[Show]
The only useful parts of last night were Jack on the stand, Locke losing his sanity, and knowing that the "he" is not Kate's baby but Claire's. Kate is only good for the love triangle stuff, beyond that, I think we all get it at this point, she's unpredictable, blah blah blah, freespirited...we get it already. I'm confused on why she cares if the people on that boat knew her story or not...I know I didn't care. But that was a classic scene though, because I, and probably millions others, were all thinking what Ben said back to Miles after he asked for 3POINT2 million $...too funny.