I've been a vegetarian for two days.

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I've been a vegetarian for two days.

Post by Spang »

Discuss.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: I've been a vegetarian for two days.

Post by miir »

edit: nevermind, thought that said vagitarian
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It's generally just a hip, new age, trendy, modern lifestyle decision that pretty much only over privileged, self absorbed hipsters do.

All things in moderation and all that!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:All things in moderation and all that!
I don't know about other vegetarians, but for me, it's about not eating dead animals.

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

We've eaten animals for thousands of years. It's fine. The problem is the mass corporate farms. No telling what's in that meat. I personally only eat fish and chicken. Not that those are any better (especially chicken unless you get like the free range organic variety or raise them yourself) but at least I don't eat red meat or pork Except bacon that stuff is too tasty to give up.

Just don't end up being one of those preachy vegan douchebags. Nobody likes those people. They are also usually PETA members as well. Double whammy.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Enjoy your vegetable murder!
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I stopped eating meat last Spring. Initially, I kept dairy and eggs in my diet, but I greatly reduced my intake of both. For a while I approached a vegan diet by eliminating all dairy and eggs from any food I prepared. I tried to avoid anything with those things when dining out, but would eat them if other options weren't available. After a month or two of that I allowed dairy and eggs back into my diet, although I still don't eat nearly as much of either as I did before the switch. More recently I've allowed an occasional bit of seafood back into my diet, but I still don't eat any other meat.

For me the change wasn't all that difficult. I still crave some old favorites, but I manage. Thanksgiving was probably the only difficult thing for me. I cook the Thanksgiving meal for my family, who are not any form of vegetarian, so I prepared the traditional meal. I tasted the food I made, including the turkey, to ensure that it was good, but I didn't have any of it for my meal. I don't know if it's because I had stopped eating meat or what, but I swear that's the best turkey I've made yet, so the temptation was high haha.

What prompted your decision to switch to a vegetarian diet? I explained mine here last year.

Quoting the link to save you a click:
Xatrei wrote:
Tyek wrote:Just curious why you would go to that level of veganism (is that a word?) Is it health related, medical or just a lifestyle choice?
Hopefully I can answer the question without the thread being derailed by a certain contingent of VV that goes apeshit over stuff like what I'm about to say. If it that happens, we'll fork to a different thread. Let me preface my answer by making clear the fact that I recognize that many people do not share my opinion on the matter. That is their right. I'm not out to convert anyone, and I don't want to take the rib eye off your plate. This is just what I feel I should do.

Primarily, it was a decision to align my eating habits with my personal ethics. I've long had issues with modern factory meat production methods that dominate the meat supply. These feelings have made appearances in at least a couple of threads here over the years. I believe that factory farming is inherently cruel to animals. Further, I find the environmental consequences of factory farming to be unacceptable. I'm not speaking about climate change issues (although meat production is certainly a huge contributor), but of the issues related to massive amounts of animal waste, chemical and biological pollution and the massive input of antibiotics necessary to for factory animals to survive long enough to be slaughtered. I simply do not wish to be a party to the animal cruelty or environmental degradation that I associate with the meat industry. In the past, I felt that merely reducing my consumption was an adequate step, but recognizing that I don't need meat to thrive, I've come to believe that the only ethically acceptable step for me to take is to separate myself from it to the greatest degree possible. This is why I'm working towards eliminating eggs and dairy and animal byproducts from my life.

Not long after making my decision to change my eating habits, a friend recommended a book to me that really reflects my feelings on the matter. This book had nothing to do with my choice - it was already made, but it has served to reinforce my belief. If you're inclined to know more about my thinking on the subject Jonathan Safran Foer's excellent book Eating Animals is a perfect summary.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Sausage is like the best thing ever. Whatever floats yer boat though. Lifestyle choices are personal. However, if I hear any preaching, I will find you and eat your ribs. Ribs are awesome.
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Canelek wrote:Sausage is like the best thing ever. Whatever floats yer boat though. Lifestyle choices are personal. However, if I hear any preaching, I will find you and eat your ribs. Ribs are awesome.
Andouille, chorizo and ribs have been hard for me to do without...
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Actually, Bacon is the gateway meat!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02 ... ft=1&f=100
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:Just don't end up being one of those preachy vegan douchebags. Nobody likes those people. They are also usually PETA members as well. Double whammy.
I don't care if you fuckers eat dead animals.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Xatrei wrote:What prompted your decision to switch to a vegetarian diet?
I watched the film Fast Food Nation on September 1, 2009. Ever since then I've wanted to be a vegetarian. I was against animal cruelty, yet continued to eat dead animals. I was a hypocrite. I got tired of being a hypocrite--tired of eating dead animals. For now, I still eat eggs and consume other dairy products. I am not a vegan.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:We've eaten animals for thousands of years. It's fine.
We've murdered humans for thousands of years. It's fine.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Folks, don't forget Spang recently entered college. Hint: Remember when Nick did the same thing?

Expect self discovery bullshit and for the next few years until the whole college "change the world" rebellion phase fades a bit.

As for declaring yourself a vegetarian, who gives a fuck? Cutting down on red meat isn't a bad a thing but being a full blown vegetarian is just creepy.

Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Just curious, does vegans hate their bodies for being made out of meat? :D
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

i love meat so much that i dont care that it's made out of murder. it could be made out of people and i'd still eat it. i bet humanbacon is damn tasty.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

masteen wrote:i love meat so much that i dont care that it's made out of murder. it could be made out of people and i'd still eat it. i bet humanbacon is damn tasty.
Keeping in mind it would be made from 400+ lb people with indeterminate hygiene.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Spang wrote:I don't care if you fuckers eat dead animals.
What about eating live animals?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:
Not as food. Totally invalid argument you're trying to make.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:
Spang wrote:
How do you know? 8-[
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Winnow wrote:Folks, don't forget Spang recently entered college. Hint: Remember when Nick did the same thing?

Expect self discovery bullshit and for the next few years until the whole college "change the world" rebellion phase fades a bit.

As for declaring yourself a vegetarian, who gives a fuck? Cutting down on red meat isn't a bad a thing but being a full blown vegetarian is just creepy.

Ohhh, college. OK, now there is some perspective.

I remember well, from what I remember of the college experience. It is fascinating how much we change. Enjoy yourself, learn a few things and meat good people. Welcome to the heart of the liberal agenda. It'll grow tiresome at some point and you may flip 180, but likely will find a nice balance later on. Or maybe not. I suppose it depends on how much you pay attention--and I am not talking about classes.
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

miir wrote:
Spang wrote:I don't care if you fuckers eat dead animals.
What about eating live animals?
Meet the meat!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Barring health reasons and taste, I don't see the big deal. Most substitutes needed to make up for the loss of meats, chicken and fish are highly manufactured and as easily tainted as any meat supply. I guess if you think it's ethically wrong to kill animals for food, that is your prerogative but animals are getting murdered all the time for far less nobel reasons.
To be honest, I really don't eat that much beef any longer. I bet it's only about 1 to 2 times a week these days. If I were to remove chicken from my diet, it would make a far greater daily impact in my eating. And I'd never eliminate fish so that's a non-issue.

Good luck with it I guess and try to stay healthy. And try and read the book of fast food nation. The movie was a pile of dogshit really whereas the book was extraordinary.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:Folks, don't forget Spang recently entered college.
In 2007. I did somewhat recently transfer to American University, however (Fall 2010).
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:
Spang wrote:
Killing human beings for <insert reason here> is just as unnecessary as killing animals for food. It doesn't matter if we've been doing it for thousands of years or a couple of weeks, it's not fine.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If that's really your argument you need to stay in school.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:If that's really your argument you need to stay in school.
You typically don't have flawed arguments, but this we've-been-doing-it-for-thousands-of-years-so-it's-fine argument is.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Spang wrote:
Xatrei wrote:What prompted your decision to switch to a vegetarian diet?
I was against animal cruelty, yet continued to eat dead animals. I was a hypocrite.
I would argue that you can be against animal cruelty and still eat meat. There are plenty of "humane" ways to kill animals which are being raised for food production.

That said, a lot of the large scale "corporate" meat farms possibly are in violation of those tenets. The only thing that will eliminate that is better oversight and hiring qualified employees and weeding out the ones that are only there to get their jollies from hurting the critters.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Xouqoa wrote:There are plenty of "humane" ways to kill animals which are being raised for food production.
There's nothing humane about ending the life of an animal, save ending suffering.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

or being hungry
damn, now I'm starvin
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

It's a personal decision and makes sense on the surface, good luck in it. Arguably healthier too.

Corporate farming in general has a huge by-kill rate, agriculture's is many times greater than that of the meat industry by nature.

Not much can be done about that.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I am now officially hungry.
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

2 species (turkey and pork) so far today, will be 3 (poached cod) at dinner :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

One of the things that contributed to the survival and evolution of humans is their omnivorousness. We're not hooked on a particular food, like Koala bears are. We can eat just about anything. Vegetarianism, a break in that evolutionary tradition, is strictly a social act that separates the eater from others, tends to make that person believe that they are somehow a morally superior individual, and allows him to feel more virtuous than meat eaters. In that way it's like choosing not to use a cell phone or avoiding television at all costs. Nothing wrong with that. If it works for you and harms no one, then go ahead and do it. Good for you!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Also, technically, I've been a vegetarian longer than you have! I haven't consumed meat in 4 days!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

A guy up the road grazes cattle across the street from the supermarket.

Reminds me of a Far Side comic every time I drive by.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:
Aslanna wrote:If that's really your argument you need to stay in school.
You typically don't have flawed arguments, but this we've-been-doing-it-for-thousands-of-years-so-it's-fine argument is.
Darn guess it's too late. You're already one of those preachy vegan douchebags!

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:Darn guess it's too late. You're already one of those preachy vegan douchebags!
I don't care if you eat meat; your argument is flawed is all.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Spang wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Darn guess it's too late. You're already one of those preachy vegan douchebags!
I don't care if you eat meat; your argument is flawed is all.
you're getting moody without your meat!
:eating:
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

How is my argument flawed? There is a food chain that affects everything. We're at the top. Are bears immoral when they eat people when they could be eating berries? Typical vegetarians on their high horses. Better watch out someone will kill it and eat it.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:There is a food chain that affects everything.
The food chain was invented by humans to justify exploitation of animals.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Spang wrote:
Aslanna wrote:There is a food chain that affects everything.
The food chain was invented by humans to justify exploitation of animals.
Oh fucking lol
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

um, the food chain is real. Take predators out of their environments and you will see the next rung down begin to overpopulate the area.

Never really heard of bears eating people though. They do seem to enjoy some tasty salmon!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Boogahz wrote:um, the food chain is real. Take predators out of their environments and you will see the next rung down begin to overpopulate the area.
No shit, but humans are not predators.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Spang wrote:
Boogahz wrote:um, the food chain is real. Take predators out of their environments and you will see the next rung down begin to overpopulate the area.
No shit, but humans are not predators.
which does nothing to invalidate the food chain
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:The food chain was invented by humans to justify exploitation of animals.

As long as you continue to eat eggs and consume dairy, you'll continue to be a hypocrite. It's ok to eat fish, 'cause they don't have aaany feeeeeelings.

Seriously, cows and pigs are treated like fucking royalty compared to chickens. I used to live in Batesville, AR. That town had a chicken processing plant and I have horror stories that I have heard and ones I have witnessed first hand. I have no idea how vegetarians justify the horrible treatment and exploitation of one animal over another. Insects are animals too. Better not slap a mosquito or pesky fly!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You post a cow with it's head being removed because you find it offensive, but continue to eat chicken fetuses? How does that work?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fairweather Pure wrote:You post a cow with it's head being removed because you find it offensive, but continue to eat chicken fetuses? How does that work?
I've never eaten a chicken fetus in my entire life. Nor have you, probably.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Boogahz wrote:which does nothing to invalidate the food chain
We agree that animals eat other animals for survival. Additionally, water is wet.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Spang wrote:No shit, but humans are not predators.
I don't know if I'd agree with that. Humans are the most prolific predators on the planet.

"Any animal that survives by preying on other animals." We may not be full time predators, due to technology, but saying we aren't at all is a stretch.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy