Salary Negotiation

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Salary Negotiation

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, in my experience you're going to get more money taking the same job at a different company than you are ever going to make staying with the one you're at. Stupid, but seems to be the way it is.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Which place has the hotter babes?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Leonaerd wrote:bump

Interviewing with the networking team of another company. They are desperate for talent (and the perks are insaaane) so I figure why not get a good idea of how much leverage I have.

Anybody else ever been in a similar situation while still employed?
Years ago I worked for a big rep firm and was one of their top people, but it was a family company and the pay was fair, but not huge. I was chased by companies for a while and took a large companies pay raise to the tune of about 17K a year, plus a 10K signing bonus and guaranteed bonus program. Three years later they got hit on their stock for pulling some shenanigans with their reporting and laid off have the staff. Regardless of performance, they picked one person per age and said BYE.

I went back to the agency and got another bump in pay. 2 years later a large company came calling and I even posted the whole thing on here. I went back and forth and finally left the agency again with about 20K bump, plus bonuses and everything else. BEST move of my life....but some things to consider.

I realized I was never going to move up in my career with the agency. It was family owned so I had gone as high as I could go. Think about that, advancement options, are they available at both places, are they better at one?

If the company you are at counters like you want, do you move outside their normal pay scale? At my new company I was paid within their wage scales even though it was much higher. They have levels and I was inside those. The Agency countered with even more money, but I was going to be their highest paid employee and when times got lean (which they always do, even for the best companies) I was going to be a glaring red flag for them.

Travel, work hours, etc. Think about what the new job is going to require. With the agency I was always home. With this job I have traveled about 19 times this year already. They might need awesome benefits to offset the work load.

There is a ton more. Like Aslanna said if you move you may find yourself moving a lot. I went from 11 years, to 3 to 2 years to 8 with this one. If you are good at what you do it won't matter, but if you are just a worker it will show poorly.

Good luck either way. It does not hurt to listen to the offer.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Thanks for the advice. It is as Funk says, really.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Do you really want to jump ship every few years? Eventually, you won't have any ships to jump to so if it ever sinks, you'll have nowhere to go.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

As has been mentioned, you don't want to appear to be a job hopper plus doing so with the raises make you a target when things tighten up. Plenty of friends in CA who hopped around to some serious salaries that they'll never be able to make again. Only a couple smart ones sat on the money and kept their living expenses down at a sane level.

Dot-com Paper millionaires similar, I know 3 out of maybe 100 potential who don't need to work anymore.

Lots of places seem to be hiring now to take care of things that have been put aside for the last 5-10 years. Some of the work doesn't look like it will last past the initial surge.

Kind of weird where I work, we hardly hired anyone from '01-'11 and "synergized" from ~100k employees down to ~20k in the same period. Almost no one under 45 or over ~55 left. Something like 80% of the workforce is eligible to retire now or in the next couple years too (not me) and they're beginning to trickle out the door.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm facing the job jumping dilemma. The company I work for didn't mention an on call rotation to me during my interview, but that has come up since.it seems like people end up getting bugged pretty frequently while they are on call, too, and with school and trying to have at least a sliver of time for myself, I just don't have time for it. This is the main reason I've been thinking about looking for another job soon, even though I've only been at this one six months.

Then today I got contacted about a job, closer to home, no on call,, etc. As much of a douche as I would feel like leaving this soon, I might go for it... Just not sure.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Did you mention that they didn't mention it? And also mention with class schedules and such you might not be able to do those at this time? I'd probably start there by talking with them and explaining your situation and see if they would be flexible. If not than I wouldn't feel too bad about looking for something that works for you.

We have oncall rotation as well but its like once every 5 weeks and usually pretty quiet (but not always). What sucks is they don't give any extra oncall pay.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I didn't say anything, I was so excited to finally have a job that I just let it go. The company is really small, whenever they decide to put me into the rotation, I'll only be the fourth person, and I think my manager is trying to be done doing it, so it's back down to the then. Point being, I don't see any way they'd let me out of it.

I'll probably just respond to this job, and see where it goes.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Got promoted last month (yay me).

So it figures that today an old co-worker from my security consulting days would offer me a job I'd really like within the company. Taking it would make me look or at least feel a bit douchey given how hard it is to promote anyone. Plus would mean leaving a boring but secure & consistently profitable group.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Grats!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo