Netflix

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Netflix

Post by Zaelath »

I don't have the DVD option, I guess I could sign up for the local one at $30/month... but their streaming selection makes Netflix seem an alternative to bothering to go to the theatre (Avengers was on Netflix streaming the week it was on DVD to buy here)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It's funny how that all works out internationally, because it seems rare to even get a new release that has already been out for a month or so on DVD. I also don't see many of them popping up on the instant viewing list.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

The whole lifecycle of movies is all sorts of stupid. Different times for release by country, for EVERY format, fucking hotel rental pushbacks... and most are just arbitrary or because we've always done it that way.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm probably going to drop Netflix at the start of the year. Eliminate stuff that has a monthy charge will help keep costs down.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I'm probably going to drop Netflix at the start of the year. Eliminate stuff that has a monthy charge will help keep costs down.
Don't do it Bubba! Drop those Packer tickets first! Watch the Packer games on your big screen TV and then cap off the night with a movie from Netflix. All the money saved can go toward more Brats and Cheese!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I'm probably going to drop Netflix at the start of the year. Eliminate stuff that has a monthy charge will help keep costs down.
I'm likely going to do the same thing. Their streaming service selection blows ass and the only reason I've kept it for the majority of this year is because the kids have enjoyed watching it on our iphones while we're out and about. Now that Disney has TV apps they can watch (for free) and since Brighthouse has an app (which I can't get to f'n work) which you supposedly can watch TV on (for free), there's about no reason for me to continue paying Netflix. They enjoy YouTube more than Netflix anyway.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I finally caught up on Sons of Anarchy, so Netflix is running thin on goodies. It may be time to cancel.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Does 7.99/month even count as an expense? I keep finding things to watch.

If you cancel, watch Cosmos again before you do!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Can't give up my tickets! I have been tempted in the past. A co-worker sold his Packers vs Bears tickets for $280 a ticket (he had 4). That's a deal you can't really pass up. I like going to the games too much. I'm going to freeze my ass off at the Vikings game and the Titans game.

Back to Netflix though. Yes, $7.99 is an expense when it no longer provides the value you once had. I spend too much time collecting movies that it seems almost like a chore now. Kind of like how playing WarCraft got for me. So we'll probably drop at the end of year.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Netflix and The Walt Disney Studios Announce Multi-Year Premium Pay TV Window Agreement in the United States
Netflix Members to Enjoy Watching High Quality Films from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios and Disneynature
Dec 4, 2012

BEVERLY HILLS and BURBANK, Calif., Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Netflix Inc. (Nasdaq:NFLX) and The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) today announced a new multi-year licensing agreement that will make Netflix the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run live-action and animated feature films from The Walt Disney Studios.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20101014/SF81638LOGO)

Beginning with its 2016 theatrically released feature films, new Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios and Disneynature titles will be made available for Netflix members to watch instantly in the pay TV window on multiple platforms, including television, tablets, computers and mobile phones. Also included in the agreement are high-profile Disney direct-to-video new releases, which will be made available on Netflix starting in 2013.

Separately, Disney and Netflix have reached agreement on a multi-year catalog deal that today brings to U.S. Netflix members such beloved Disney movies such as "Dumbo," "Pocahontas" and "Alice in Wonderland."

"Disney and Netflix have shared a long and mutually beneficial relationship and this deal will bring to our subscribers, in the first pay TV window, some of the highest-quality, most imaginative family films being made today," said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix. "It's a bold leap forward for Internet television and we are incredibly pleased and proud this iconic family brand is teaming with Netflix to make it happen."

"With this cutting-edge agreement, we are thrilled to take our highly valued relationship with Netflix to the next level by adding Disney's premier films to their programming line-up," said Janice Marinelli, President, Disney-ABC Domestic Television. "Netflix continues to meet the demands of its subscribers in today's rapidly evolving digital landscape, and we are delighted that they will have much earlier access to our top-quality and entertaining slate," she continued.
Yay for Netflix! This is good news if the new Star Wars movies turn out well. (Marvel and Pixar movies as well) Disney has to wait for the current Starz contract to run out which is why it's 2016.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Good for them. I hope Netflix does well, really. But I can count on one hand the number of worthwhile Disney movies I've been interested in seeing over the last 12 months. This has zero influence on my staying with or leaving Netflix. It's like an exclusive license to the generic green beans at the grocery store.

Edit: Actually, I can nearly count the number of disney movies over the last 12 months on one hand.

http://www.disneymovieslist.com/year-di ... syear=2012

This is a list of 2012 Disney movies. Includes all Disney films from 2012 whether they were released in theaters, direct-to-DVD or premiered on the Disney Channel.

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3: Viva La Fiesta!
Brave
Frankenweenie
Frenemies
John Carter
Let It Shine
Odd Life of Timothy Green, The
Radio Rebel
Santa Paws 2: The Santa Pups
Secret World of Arrietty, The
Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess
Tinker Bell: Secret of the Wings
Treasure Buddies
Wreck-It Ralph

Admittedly, Brave was good. But there's not another one on there except maybe Wreck-It Ralph that is worth even mentioning. And these are the types of movies that Netflix wants to toot a horn about? John Carter? Frankenweenie?

2013 not shaping up to be too exciting either:

Frozen
Hill, The
Lone Ranger
Magic Kingdom
McFarland
Monsters University
Oz: The Great and Powerful
Phineas and Ferb Movie
Tink
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't give a shit what you like Siji. Avengers Assemble raked it in at the box office and plenty of people like Marvel movies. Pixar and Marvel movies will be great on Netflix. Hopefully some other movie companies will sign contracts with Netflix over the next few years.
(CNN) -- She grew up in one of the poorest spots on earth. She couldn't read or write. As a child, she scrounged for food each day for herself, her mother, and her brother.

But a chance encounter with a chess coach turned her into a rising international chess star, the subject of a book -- and the protagonist in a future Disney movie.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/10/world/afr ... ?hpt=hp_c1

fuck yeah
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, the Disney-Netflix deal doesn't just mean "Disney" movies.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Walt Disney Pictures
Disneynature
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures distribution
Touchstone Pictures
Lucasfilm (See Lucasfilm section)
Marvel Studios
Future Star Wars and Marvel movies.

Touchstone/Dreamworks movies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_To ... ures_films
About The Walt Disney Studios

For more than 85 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today, the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios; Disneynature; Marvel Studios; and Touchstone Pictures, the banner under which live-action films from DreamWorks Studios are distributed.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Netflix is clearly confident in Arrested Development: new episodes of Mitch Hurwitz's cult hit aren't yet available on the streaming service, but the company is already investing in more episodes than originally planned. Deadline reports that the previous order of 10 shows will expand to between 12 and 15 episodes by the time the new season debuts this spring. Netflix agreed to the longer season after Hurwitz wound up with extra footage following the first phase of production. The show's creator is currently working out new story arcs and it's expected that some of the cast will return for more shooting in January.

Each of the new episodes of Arrested Development will reportedly be released simultaneously to subscribers, so you'll be able to stream the entire new season without interruption. There's also other, less-comedic original programming headed to Netflix. Led by Kevin Spacey, House of Cards is slated to debut this coming February.
Also don't forget new episodes of Arrested Development will be on Netflix.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I've gotten so much value out of Netflix. Watching what would otherwise be a $50-100 dvd box set tv show for essentially $8.00 is pretty damn cool. I'm through 3 seasons of 30 Rock and going strong.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leonaerd wrote:I've gotten so much value out of Netflix. Watching what would otherwise be a $50-100 dvd box set tv show for essentially $8.00 is pretty damn cool. I'm through 3 seasons of 30 Rock and going strong.

First thing I watched on Netflix was Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Joss Whedon!). I ended up watching all 7 seasons, 145 episodes. I've since watched many other full series. I see that as one of the biggest benefits of Netflix as opposed to the movies. Also documentaries.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Netflix introduces "Super HD" and streaming 3D included in base price!

Rumors that Netflix was offering ISPs access to higher quality streams in return for partnering on distribution surfaced early last year, and were followed by the announcement of its Open Connect CDN network in June. Now the full picture has been revealed with the company's announcement of "Super HD" 1080p and (in the US only, for now) 3D streaming, which comes to its customers at no extra cost, but only on certain devices plugged in to to Open Connect partner ISPs. The hardware list includes PS3, WiiU, Windows 8, Roku, Apple TVs as well as Blu-ray players and smart TVs with 1080p support.

According to Netflix, most of its international streams are already going through compatible ISPs, however the only major participants announced in the US currently are Cablevision and Google Fiber. Watch Instantly customers can see if their ISP on the list by visiting the Super HD page and, if it isn't, they're encouraged to call and ask for it. Netflix's ability to manage bandwidth will be increasingly important and the ISPs customers access its with and along with those rankings, "Super HD" is an important lure to get them to play ball.

We've been seeing some 3D ready titles pop up on the service in the last few weeks and now viewers can access titles like Art of Flight, Immortals and several titles from 3net. According to Dan Rayburn of Streaming Media Blog, the higher-quality encodes are targeted for 7 Mbps, while 3D streams top out at 12 Mbps. One question that lingers is how this quality bump aligns with recent changes some customers have noticed (if X-High suddenly reappears...), but until we get our eyes on the higher quality streams it's hard to tell. Reed Hastings says he wants all Netflix customers served by Open Connect (whether via colocated appliances or peered at common internet exchanges) as soon as possible -- we'll see if Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon, AT&T and the rest have a similar dream.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

This site (VV) is an absolute bitch to try and navigate/post on my iphone!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Works great on my Samsung Galaxy S III
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

This site (VV) is an absolute bitch to try and navigate/post on my iphone!
Cool Windows 8 supported!

No Cox Communications support though. Have I mentioned that I like Netflix?

If it helps at all, several months back there was a huge investment in Netflix at 70/share. Netflix is pushing 100/share so someone knew good things where coming (beyond the Disney deal)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I decided to maintain my subscription for the disks. The reason is that I found many films in my collection that are in .avi format or just are bad copies. So I am going back and replacing them. That will take some time as I only get 1 disk at a time. Luckily I'm not really in any hurry.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I decided to maintain my subscription for the disks. The reason is that I found many films in my collection that are in .avi format or just are bad copies. So I am going back and replacing them. That will take some time as I only get 1 disk at a time. Luckily I'm not really in any hurry.
You made the right choice Bubba. I'm proud of you!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Netflix added 2 million US subscribers and made a profit of $2.69m (£1.77m) in the first quarter of 2013, buoyed by its critically acclaimed exclusive drama House of Cards.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/23 ... x_results/

More subscribers than HBO.

Think I mentioned it, dropped cable maybe a year ago and do strictly broadcast TV and Netflix now. Works well for me & saves ~$50\mo.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The stock is around $215/share today up $37 overnight. Was at $70 a few months ago.