I got my first Comcast DL warning

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: I got my first Comcast DL warning

Post by Nick »

How frightfully mistaken you are.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

How is Biazarro , Ireland this time of year.. Do they have a football team?
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Hey Aslanna, show me anywhere on the Comcast site (hell use the entire Internet) where it states what my DL limit is. Let me know what my invisible ceiling is, because no one at Comcast can seem to tell me.
Again, not relevant. Just because they don't tell people the magic limit doesn't mean it's "unlimited". As you found out when they contacted you lolz. It's well known that they don't state a DL limit.
Ok, so you can't find one either. Gotcha. It's my entire point, so it's pretty fucking relevant to the discussion despite your inability to address it. They called me and said I was using too much bandwidth. They told me I had to reduce my consumption or get cut off. Reduce it to what? They can't tell me. That dosen't strike you as odd in any way? Am I in Bizarro world where I'm the only one that sees how fucked up that is?

Thanks to me, we know it's somewhere under 1.2T :) Now to find the sweet spot...
Seriously?
Look, they know what you did last month. I'm pretty sure they can get specific numbers of your actual usage if they want to. They didn't, because it's a pain in the ass...and a warning is normally enough for goobers like you. Apparently a warning isn't enough for you, because you're still chomping at the bit for more.

You seem to feel that this is comcast's fault for not clearly publishing the amount of data that you can use to download illegal things with each month. By all means then, continue downloading everything you possibly can. Stick it to the man! Break their fascist machine!

Anyways, that's the tone/feeling I'm getting from your responses in this thread. It could just be that you're embarrased and trying to deflect. It could just be that I'm fucking nuts cause I finished my last final this morning.

In closing,
8)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Animalor wrote:How is Biazarro , Ireland this time of year.. Do they have a football team?
They call it soccer there.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Truant wrote:You seem to feel that this is comcast's fault for not clearly publishing the amount of data that you can use to download illegal things with each month.
Close. It's the fact that they won't tell me how much I can DL and not be banned after I've been given my first warning.
Truant wrote:Anyways, that's the tone/feeling I'm getting from your responses in this thread. It could just be that you're embarrased and trying to deflect. It could just be that I'm fucking nuts cause I finished my last final this morning.
I'm not embarrassed at all, and I'm not trying to deflect. I'm just being honest and posting something Internet releated that happened to me. I am feeling a tad defensive in this thread, but it happens to everyone form time to time on this board. It comes with the territory. I knew just by posting my actual DL numbers that some people would flip thier lid, I just didn't expect it to be pretty much everyone, lol.

Besides, it's good, fun conversation. Well, except the attacks and name from left field, but that also comes with the territory.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Anyone that can't grasp that using 1.2TB of bandwidth isn't extremely abnormal isn't in touch with reality.

It's abusing the system. If a grandma was on the corner offering free lemonaid, you'd take the whole pitcher and tell her, "you didn't set a limit bitch!".

There are many things that can be considered "unlimited" but if abused by people like you, get cracked down on.

If you start going to bars and take every napkin, cherry, toothpick, every day, you're first, probably going to get an ass beating at some point, and then kicked out. They don't give a fuck how much you say, "there's a sign saying free". There are special rules for special people. The "unlimited" and "Free" are for normal people. People that don't get it and can't moderate themselves are eventually dealt with by other means.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

seems like fairweather stuck his dick into a basket full of venomous snakes
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Funkmasterr wrote:seems like fairweather stuck his dick into a basket full of venomous snakes

:lol:
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I'm not attacking you for using that much bandwidth, (and I don't know why anyone would, except out of jealousy) I'm only asking you to be realistic now that you've gotten a verbal spanking.

I guess we thought this might have been obvious.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yes Winnow, I steal lemonade from the elderly and everthing from resturaunts that isn't nailed down. I do this because any rational and intelligent person can see that they are absolutely the exact same thing. I also kill kittens and tell every child I see that there is no Santa Claus or Jesus. Are you done in this thread yet?

I was talking to a friend about this issue and he said it reminded him of the Simpsons episode where Homer eats at the new "all you can eat" seafood buffet in town and never gets full. I thought that was a better anology, and funny to boot.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Echoing what Winnow and Fash said.

Going away from Comcast isn't a good option, because you're unlikely to get the same level of service.

If I attempted to (and I've considered it just for fun) run my Internet connection at line-rate for a month, I WOULD EXPECT TO GET A PHONE CALL.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

if you take a cookie each day from a jar, people probably won't notice. If you take the whole jar of cookies each day, people are going to notice.

Sounds like you're the kind of person that would turn your radio up to 10 if allowed at work even though it obviously bothers people and then point out that there's no "reasonable volume" clause.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'm sorry, using "service" and "Comcast" in the same sentence is so very el oh el. They are fucking shitcocks of the highest order.

I keep my down and up pipes stuffed like Sasha Grey all night, every night with torrents of various kinds, and AT&T hasn't said shit to me ever. Because they don't use the same bullshit "unlimited, but we'll call and harass you if you're in the top 10% of users" tactics that Comcast does; they sell levels of service with fixed up and down speeds, but that pipe is yours 24/7.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

That's nice and all but your pipe is probably a lot smaller. Comcast has great service (as far as I'm concerned) and incredible bandwidth.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fash wrote:That's nice and all but your pipe is probably a lot smaller. Comcast has great service (as far as I'm concerned) and incredible bandwidth.
Not sure I'd day "a lot smaller". I have 6Mbps down/1Mbps up with AT&T. Isn't the premium Comcast only at 8Mbps/768kbps or something (at the present time)? I know their ads like to say 16Mbps but that's with the PowerBoost thing which is only for the first 10MB of a file then you drop down to the 'regular' rate. So more of a gimmick thing if you ask me.

Regardless, even if it's higher (since it probably is in different regions), what good is "incredible bandwith" if they call you up saying you're using too much of it? And their service is so great they wont even tell you how much is too much! So I'm not really sure those are really strong selling points for your argument.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

I'd say that over 6 years of cable modem access with above-average downloads and download speeds, without any issues whatsoever, is a pretty strong selling point. You may have a decent advertised Xmpbs rating, but I don't think you're hitting the newsgroups for 700+ KB/s solid.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fash wrote:I'd say that over 6 years of cable modem access with above-average downloads and download speeds, without any issues whatsoever, is a pretty strong selling point. You may have a decent advertised Xmpbs rating, but I don't think you're hitting the newsgroups for 700+ KB/s solid.
Actually that's where you'd be wrong. While that is what they advertise that's also what I'm actually getting. I'm usually solid in the 680-700 range for the duration of the transfer.

I don't know why you think DSL is so inferior but it's a point you've tried to make in numerous threads over the years. And from my experience over the past 5 years I say you're simply incorrect.

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Aslanna wrote: I don't know why you think DSL is so inferior but it's a point you've tried to make in numerous threads over the years. And from my experience over the past 5 years I say you're simply incorrect.
Understood... that was my experience with it. That's cool things have changed.. I will no longer disparage DSL.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:I'm not attacking you for using that much bandwidth, (and I don't know why anyone would, except out of jealousy)
I could download about 140GB a day if I queued up downloads nonstop using newsleecher/giganews )(~6GB/hour). That would put me over 3TB/month. I'm not jealous of someone's bandwidth when it comes to out of control leeching. I'm jealous of a few countries that can download specific things they want quicker (not continuously).
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fash wrote:Understood... that was my experience with it. That's cool things have changed.. I will no longer disparage DSL.
I'm sure there are some areas with crappy DSL service so I'm not saying it's all wine and roses but I'm sure the same can be said for cable. I can only go by my experience. Here's a small screenshot of a recent transfer after 10 minutes.
NL2.jpg
Seems nice and consistent to me! The average a little lower based on the first few seconds but that's normal regardless of your connection method.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

--
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

My router tells me I use ~90% of the BW I'm paying for when my torrents are running.

And one of the reasons I'll never use Comcast is because their support sucks. Their techs here in Florida are fucking morons, they experience outages way more frequently than BellSouth, and top that off with the fact that their service is only price competitive when you bundle it with TV (which I don't watch).

I love it when my friend bitches about having to return his cable modem to the office himself because they can't manage to get a tech to his house in under a week. He's had to do that twice so far this year. My sister also uses it. Her services dumps her VPN connection so often, I had to loan her my old USB modem so she can connect to her company's dial-up server. That TV/Innanetz bundle is such a bargain, REALLY!

The cherry is that their website sucks balls. I refuse to trust any ISP who can't figure out how to code a webpage properly.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

masteen wrote:My router tells me I use ~90% of the BW I'm paying for when my torrents are running.

And one of the reasons I'll never use Comcast is because their support sucks. Their techs here in Florida are fucking morons, they experience outages way more frequently than BellSouth, and top that off with the fact that their service is only price competitive when you bundle it with TV (which I don't watch).

I love it when my friend bitches about having to return his cable modem to the office himself because they can't manage to get a tech to his house in under a week. He's had to do that twice so far this year. My sister also uses it. Her services dumps her VPN connection so often, I had to loan her my old USB modem so she can connect to her company's dial-up server. That TV/Innanetz bundle is such a bargain, REALLY!

The cherry is that their website sucks balls. I refuse to trust any ISP who can't figure out how to code a webpage properly.
I have comcast, and while I can't comment on their customer service, it's for a good reason: I've never had to use it. I have abused the hell out of their service and used my share of bandwidth for years now, and I've never had an issue resetting my modem didn't fix. I've had one or two outages that didn't last very long, and that's about it.

What it boils down to is your area.. Neither one is better than the other all the time, so arguing about it is fucking retarded.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:Regardless, even if it's higher (since it probably is in different regions), what good is "incredible bandwith" if they call you up saying you're using too much of it?
That's my question about the mega 150mps connections they're trying out right now that are 150$ bucks a month. It just seems like customers would simply hit the invisible ceiling sooner. I fail to understand the point of 150mps in Comcast's business model if they are currently taking issue with anyone DLing 400G a month.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote: That's my question about the mega 150mps connections they're trying out right now that are 150$ bucks a month. It just seems like customers would simply hit the invisible ceiling sooner. I fail to understand the point of 150mps in Comcast's business model if they are currently taking issue with anyone DLing 400G a month.
You get stuff faster. That's the advantage of high Mbps. Say you rent a movie online. You'll get it in 2 minutes instead of 10 minutes...so you don't have to wait as long but you also don't have to max 150Mbps 24/7.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I would also assume that higher tiers, at higher prices, would also have a higher threshold before being flagged as 'abuse'. Or at least I hope that would be the case.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:You get stuff faster. That's the advantage of high Mbps. Say you rent a movie online. You'll get it in 2 minutes instead of 10 minutes...so you don't have to wait as long but you also don't have to max 150Mbps 24/7.
Convenience factor goes up, large (and very large) file DLes increase, you hit the ceiling faster.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Convenience factor goes up, large (and very large) file DLes increase, you hit the ceiling faster.
Yet you're paying for the highest tier, so they will probably not enforce the ceiling (unless you're 24/7 max.) It's not in their best interests at that point.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

They didn't tell you what your ceiling is because it's generally accepted as reasonable.

It's also pretty standard practice that any sane, logical, rational person can grasp the concept of reasonable.

Cable ISP's work on a ring system (in really simple terms). There is a pipeline in place in your area, and everyone in your area uses that pipeline. There is no bottleneck on you personally (as in DSL), you have full access to the entirety of that pipeline. If you use an unreasonable amount of the bandwidth on that pipeline, the other people in your area will experience slowdowns. So it's kind of an honor system that everyone uses 'their fair share' and not more. Otherwise, you're screwing both the company (based on the rate your paying for reasonable usage) and your fellow customers (your using the bandwidth they're paying for).

Some people don't give a shit about anyone else, and that's ok with them to do that.

Irregardless (that's right bitches) you should probably take it easy and not try to find the maximum allowable usage before getting banned. It'd be real easy for them to turn you over to the agencies that are on Pirate Witch hunts atm.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Cable compaines can (and do) cap their BW now.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

hope you weren't too cheap to add the SSL option to your giganews account! All of that unencrypted pr0n and other stuff being viewed and analyzed by ComCast since you've now been targeted as a trouble spot!

I download encrypted data directly to an encrypted drive. It's glorious. It's a nice safety precaution and not hard to do.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Winnow wrote:hope you weren't too cheap to add the SSL option to your giganews account! All of that unencrypted pr0n and other stuff being viewed and analyzed by ComCast since you've now been targeted as a trouble spot!

I download encrypted data directly to an encrypted drive. It's glorious. It's a nice safety precaution and not hard to do.
Show me evidence that this is worth doing. What are you opening yourself up to by not encrypting newsgroup traffic, and why should I go through 2 more hoops to avoid it?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote: Show me evidence that this is worth doing. What are you opening yourself up to by not encrypting newsgroup traffic, and why should I go through 2 more hoops to avoid it?
$5

security and peace of mind that your data stream isn't being looked at. I admit, SSL isn't a huge deal but whether a legal or illegal entity is snooping, I'd rather they not be able to see what I'm doing.

SSL also offers the opportunity to download on port 443 which may speed up downloads for some:

http://www.giganews.com/blog/2007/01/al ... ports.html
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

masteen wrote:Cable compaines can (and do) cap their BW now.
Ahh, my apologies then. I've been out of the industry for a while, and haven't used cable since I left Orlando.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

To put this in terms non tech people can understand:

1.2 TB = 48 Full Blu Ray Disks (25GB each)
1.2 TB = 300 DVDs
1.2 TB = 1,700 Divx movies
1.2 TB = 3,400 TV episodes (1 hour long or 3,400 hours of Divx) (watch divx for 141 days straight 24 hours a day)
1.2 TB = 240,000 MP3s
1.2 TB = 4 million jpegs

And someone doesn't see the problem with downloading this amount in one month

yeah, I download a quarter of a million mp3's a month. What's the problem? I'm shooting for about three million MP3s this year.

word to your mother

peace
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I believe I saw a notice out from Verizon a while back that the top 5-10% bandwidth users would be monitored and could face increased charges, or something to that effect. Came up about the same time as the Comcast flap was brewing.
What it boils down to is your area.. Neither one is better than the other all the time, so arguing about it is fucking retarded
Not really, a connection from a telecom that has voice circuts tied into it lives in a whole different regulatory environment than what a cable company does (information services vs. telecommunications services). So unless your telecom provider is incompetent, has no competition or just or likes paying FCC fines there's very good reasons that generally speaking, service from the telco is going to be more reliable than from a non-telco.

I still can't understand the effort to download and store all this stuff that you realistically can never use :D
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aabidano wrote:I still can't understand the effort to download and store all this stuff that you realistically can never use :D
I think it is fairly obvious!

No pun intended
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i use that much per month

what am i downloading, you ask?

real, actual porn stars. they materialize before me like star trek.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Weird Science!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Better watch out, Fairweather, or you could be next.

http://consumerist.com/tag/crime/?i=501 ... omcast-van
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

lol.

Corporate vigilante justice.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Time Warner to charge extra $1 per GB

An announcement from Time Warner Cable has stated that they are planning to charge consumers $1 for each gigabyte of content over their allotment. This testing on metered Internet access will start in Beaumont, Texas. Time Warner Cable is a cable operator in the U.S. dealing with the development and launches of innovative video, data and voice services. The company also delivers advanced products and services such as video-on-demand, high-definition television, digital video recorders, enhanced TV features, high-speed data, and Digital Phone. The move has immediately drawn criticisms as it is seen as an abuse of regional monopoly. However, Time Warner Cable has maintained that this type of charging would actually help a majority of users since this would discourage the problem of 5 percent of customers using half of the capacity on local cable lines.

In an interview to AP Kevin Leddy, Time Warner Cable’s executive vice president of advanced technology, said, “We think it’s the fairest way to finance the needed investment in the infrastructure.” Reuters meanwhile reported that Time Warner Cable has new designs to provide multiple levels of service that would start at $29.95 per month for speeds of 768 Kbps, with a limit on downloads of 5 GB. This limit would amount to more than 340,000 e-mails, 170 hours of online games or downloading more than 1,300 songs. At the high end, customers could pay $54.90 a month for download speeds of 15 Mbps and a limit of 40 GB, which amounts to 124 hours of standard-definition videos or downloading over 11,000 songs.
Ouch. High end = 40GB. That's not really a lot for $54.90/month.

5GB for $29.95/month is a joke.

Brutal. Shame people abused the system downloading insane amounts of info each month.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Nonsense... they have the bandwidth, they're just looking for more ways to fuck us. This has nothing to do with heavy downloaders and everything to do with greedy corporate fuckers.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well at least people wont have the excuse "But I'm paying for unlimited service!" anymore. Oh well Time Warner sucks. I'd be curious to see what other competition they have in that area and whether other providers elsewhere are ready to implement similar plans.

Meanwhile, over at Comcast:
Yesterday I broke the news that Comcast will begin testing their new "protocol agnostic" throttling approach in two markets (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania and Warrenton, Virginia) starting Thursday. After my story was published, Comcast updated their website with information on the trials. As I've already covered, the new approach, to be implemented at year's end, only targets high-consumption users. Comcast's existing system uses forged TCP packets to disrupt BitTorrent communication for all users, 24/7, regardless of consumption. Says Comcast of the new system:
The new network management technique will result in delayed response times for Internet traffic only for those customers who are using more than their fair share of available Internet resources at the time. The network management technique manages those customers' Internet traffic until their usage falls below established bandwidth usage thresholds or until network congestion ends.
I'm hoping that whatever triggers the throttling is made completely transparent to end users. By combining this throttling with new, transparent 250GB caps, a planned crackdown on piracy, and DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades, Comcast hopes to tackle present and future congestion issues. That's in contrast to Time Warner Cable, whom I've noted has taken a wait and see approach to DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades, and this week confirmed plans to test caps ranging from 5-40GB per month.

--
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

i can has porn addiction?
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Lalanae wrote:i can has porn addiction?
Well, that's a good point, there are porn sites out there that will happily provide a legitimate 300Gb of content to download/month....

Time Warner though, you have to think they're being leaned on pretty heavily by the same people that will be leaning on them to remove the caps when they get their content delivery sorted, meanwhile they're fighting teh piracy! Yarr
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zaelath wrote:
Lalanae wrote:i can has porn addiction?
Well, that's a good point, there are porn sites out there that will happily provide a legitimate 300Gb of content to download/month....

Time Warner though, you have to think they're being leaned on pretty heavily by the same people that will be leaning on them to remove the caps when they get their content delivery sorted, meanwhile they're fighting teh piracy! Yarr
Yeah pretty much.. bunch of bs.

ps - i can has cheeseburger or whatever that site is is so far from funny. ok im done.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Download a couple Linux DVD distros, the 13GB AoC prelaunch torrent (13GB), etc and you're going to be pushing your cap limits pretty quick. Large game downloads will only increase in size as well as IPTV which will deliver content streaming via the internet.

The cable companies are gearing up for losing TV viewers to IPTV and finding a way to keep charging them.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Winnow wrote:Download a couple Linux DVD distros, the 13GB AoC prelaunch torrent (13GB), etc and you're going to be pushing your cap limits pretty quick. Large game downloads will only increase in size as well as IPTV which will deliver content streaming via the internet.

The cable companies are gearing up for losing TV viewers to IPTV and finding a way to keep charging them.
The problem though is that the faggot cable companies won't charge you for the IPTV content if it's delivered from THEM. They'll rape you in the ass if you want to use your Apple TV or Netflix box though. This is a kind of minor issue of net neutrality.

Software is an excellent point. Just like the storefront music and video stores will soon be a relic of the past, software stores are right behind them. The only thing software stores have going for them is the fact that they also sell hardware and there are still a lot of people that lack technical savvy.

It really is going to start to suck. Largely because the infrastructure is expensive, and the person who owns it wants to get paid. Consumers are screwed because in most cases you have the choice between a few ISPs that are good, and your cable and phone companies are buying them up as fast as they can.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Fuck cable, lucky for me I have a local company that supplies fiber. Soon they will offer tv as well.

http://www.liscofiber.com/pricesresidential.htm

I do remote backups for companies, I use about 800gigs a month. No warning here!!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've hit 1.3TB so far this month and I still have a week to go. No phone calls yet! The 250GB imposed limit has been lifted for the last year or so, so I've been going nuts. This month I discovered some great comic collections that I have been grabbing at will.

This thread is pretty funny looking back on it now. The patch for Dead Rising was 13GB lol.

Like I said: Today's power user is tomorrow's average user!